Sunday, December 4, 2011

Raising Men

It hit me today in Church and I was almost crying, the whole service.  There were two young adult men a few rows up, with their backs to us. Broad shouldered brothers side by side, taking communion together, worshiping together, praying together.  Every time I looked over at them I practically started bawling.  Why?

It hit me.  I'm not merely providing nourishment for little babies and toddlers.  I'm not simply raising little boys.  I'm raising men.  I mean, like, these two little bodies will become grown men one day.  Wow.  That's an incredible responsibility.  I don't want to just survive this thing called parenthood (as per previous post) but I want to excel.  Therefore: I need to pray.  A LOT.  And certainly a lot more than I have been.  Because this world needs more godly men in it.  It needs more men who:

[and this is my prayer for my two little boys.  That they will...]:
Know God personally and love God unashamedly, boldly, and honestly
Be honorable, faithful, and courageous.
Be defenders of the defenseless, preachers of the truth, and will love others as they have been loved by their heavenly Father.
Be humble, and recognize their need for God's grace through Christ.
Be servant-hearted and compassionate.
Stand firm on the truth of God's Word, and fight against injustice.
Be valiant, righteous, and strong.
Be worshipers like David, leaders like Moses, and prayer warriors like Jesus himself.

Maybe it's too much to hope for but I certainly don't think it's too much to pray for.  This world needs men who will be godly and strong and I pray that my boys, my little men-in-the-making will be such as that.

[Tear].  Help me Lord to pray faithfully for these little lives and to model a real and authentic walk with you.  Not to model perfect religiosity or 'pretend' righteousness, but to model a real relationship with Christ.  In humility, to love Christ and love others.  




3 comments:

  1. That is pretty awesome.... Hard to imagine Silas being anything more than the adorable kid he is, but it's true...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfully written prayer. I may have to steal this and pray it for my own little man :) Thanks for sharing Shannon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...