Tuesday, March 19, 2013

on the subject of Books

When it comes to reading books, I'm a little ADD.  

My library fines are sky-high and I always have a dozen books on the go at once.  No wonder I can't remember anything and lose track of my phone 5 times a day.  To focus on one book at a time is, well, impossible.

On my bedside table alone I have this pile of books that I would all say I'm reading:

Love Does by Bob Goff

Half the Sky by Nicholas Kristof & Sheryl WuDunn (just got it from the library!)

Grace Based Parenting,  by Tim Kimmel [soon to become my parenting manifesto, so good, so challenging) p.s. who did I borrow this from?  I can't remember!

Unworthy Creature by Aruna Papp

Eat & Run by Scott Jurek - some great information about living a vegan lifestyle (and being a high-performance athlete)

and an interesting novel:

The Promise of Stardust by Priscille Sibley

I really have very little time to read, but yet I insist on keeping many books half open.  I'm eager to dive into Half the Sky as it's come highly recommended and the subject matter is heavy on my heart, but books like "grace based parenting" can't be plowed through.  It needs to be thought on, prayed over, notes need to be taken etc.  But then I always like having a 'light' read before I fall asleep and can't usually read deep subject matter or else I'll be up late fretting and guilt ridden.

If only I could read and cook dinner at the same time?  

Anyone else have reading ADD?  or Do you read one at a time?

3 comments:

  1. Ha ha! And I've given up trying to read more than one at a time, and even that book has taken me over a year (it's a heavy-ish theological book on Baptism, which is partly why it is taking so long.) But I'd love to be reading more.

    Very interested in Graced Based parenting. I'd like to model the God of Grace for our kids! "There is no fear in love. Perfect love casts out fear" I don't want our kids to be afraid of daddy.

    But there's also a healthy hounour and respect they need to learn: "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom." And fearing the LORD in this way starts by learning to fear your parents in this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joel- get this book! He highlights the importance of rules, boundaries, discipline etc as necessary parts of grace. It's profoundly affecting not only the way I see my relationship to God, my Father, but is definitely affecting the way I look at disciplining the kids [within the atmosphere of grace]. Get it and read it!!!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, Shannon, Half the Sky is amazing. It's emotionally difficult to read, but it was a very moving book.

    I'm currently reading four books, so you're not the only one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...