Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Why I'm Giving up Starbucks

To say that I love Starbucks is a serious understatement.


I'm a freakin' gold card member.  Yes, that's right, I'll publicly admit it.  I buy enough coffees from there a month that I have a gold card.  Oh, it's not even 50 bucks a  month (or so I think).  I excuse my excessive middle class addiction because "I don't buy a lot of clothes, I don't buy any make-up, so this is my one thing."

Lately, with all the reading I've been doing about sex trafficking and the plight of women around the globe [ex: Half the Sky] these 5 dollar a pop drinks are not going down as smoothly.  I keep saying I want to make a difference, but do I really?  I mean, if it's going to cost me my convenient comforts.. am I really willing to count the cost?

Ouch.

We give what we can, we work in ministry ourselves, but seriously, can't I have my guilt-free earl grey tea latte and find other ways to make a difference?

Maybe.  

But I'm gonna start right here.  I've thought about cutting back on buying coffee out because, well, it's pricey.  The reality is, I don't want to just 'cut back' in order to save myself a buck.  I want to cut back and make a difference.  

And how am I going to make a difference in big world problems if I'm not willing to make even a small personal sacrifice?  Do I think changes are made on a large scale if I am not willing to be inconvenienced, even minutely, for someone else's good?

This idea has been rolling around in my head for awhile, but I've been quick to push it aside.  

So I'll declare it publicly here in order to make me do what my heart is already saying it should:  I'm not only going to stop drinking coffee from Starbucks (ouch), but I am going to put that $50 a month I spend towards a cause.  Not sure which one yet, maybe more towards International Justice Mission. [Suggestions?]  I'll let you know when I pick so I'm fully accountable.

Here's my hope: every time I crave a coffee out, I'll pray for those girls around the globe who not only don't get convenient luxuries like fancy coffees, but are forced, against their will, to prostitute their bodies so that they have food to eat and life for another day.  

Maybe 50 bucks a month ain't much, but believe you me, this creature comfort is hard to break.  Anyone who knows me, knows I LOVE me my coffee.  
So, it actually feels like 'a lot.'  

Sigh.  I'll miss you Starbucks.   Especially at 4:45 in the morning on my way to a 12 hour day shift.  Or on the way to the class that I teach.  Or going for a walk with two draining boys.

p.s. This isn't going to be some religious, hard-nosed, legalistic thing.  But in order for it to be possible for me to give 50 bucks a month, something else has to give and I can think of no better solution.

[Then I start thinking about taking personal vacations and I really start to wonder about my priorities.  That will be a different post].



1 comment:

  1. Shannon, this is fantastic. Challenging for me, too! If you're looking to support an organization that works with trafficked women, Ratanak International does some good stuff. IJM is also reputable, but since you asked for suggestions, there's one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...