Monday, May 20, 2013

the Toby

18 months.  1.5 years.


My blonde-haired, sparkly blue-eyed, curious little critter has sprouted to be an opinionated, hilarious little boy.

Overnight.

Outdoors?  [Check].  Rock? [Check].  Happiness?  [Check].



his 'serious' look
  




leading the way to the computer...sneaky goose

I realize I haven't really written about him in the same way I did with Silas.  Thing is, I'm simply enraptured by him.  He's delightful.  Maybe I'm just more relaxed with him than I was with Silas, but this stage is simply heavenly.  Ever since 6 months I just can't get enough of this sweet, soft, mama's boy who is stronger than he looks in personality and strength. Sure, he has his fist throwing, feet flailing fits (no joke) but somehow they are much cuter coming from a pint-sized garcon. 

What do I think is so fabulous about this bundle of life?
-he says "woo woo" for trains, it's pretty much amazing.
-other than that he says NO very very well, ball, bus, dada and mama and BUbble
-he can play contentedly by himself with trains, cars, books or blocks for extended periods of time
-he is cuddly
-he wakes up with his hair in the craziest spastic fro that makes me laugh every time
-he is bound and determined to be independent in all things: feeding himself with a fork, finding and putting his shoes on, won't let me hold his hands to balance and well, his stubborn and fierce independence is wonderfully, uniquely him.
-he is an explorer.  Toby loves to wander outside.  He pokes slugs, collects rocks, goes on 2 hour bike rides or hikes and is happy as a clam, and could live in the mud or sand if I let him.
-when he is upset, he throws his head back and runs out of the room to find a place to throw himself down.  It's quite hysterical really.(And a wee bit scary for what toddler years hold)
-he is just ridiculously cute.  He has this frowning, serious face and I call him mr. grumps but he's one of those 'seems grumpy but is actually warm and cuddly' types of personalities and I love him for it.
-he loves to wrestle, jump and leap off things.  Dangerous.
-on that same note: he has no sense of limitation.  He thinks because Silas can do it, so can he.  Which makes for a very agile, and capable 1.5 year old - but also makes for an anxious nurse turned mother.  This boy is bound and determined to knock his teeth out of his head before he gets 'em all in. 
-he is a boy's boy.  Loves hockey sticks, balls, kicking, throwing, and well, yelling.  He's every bit a boy and I love him for it!
-he's also nicknamed "mr messer" in our home.  He is a mess-making machine.  Un-doing, un-raveling, emptying, scattering, dispersing, those are his skills.  Let me assure you, he is very talented.
-he is excellent at pointing out airplanes, buses, and all animals.  He loves animals and finds them everywhere, grunting at dogs, sqwaking at birds, and squealing at anything else.  It's fun to see him fascinated  by living things
-he eats as much as I do and will never turn down a snack of fruit, raisins, sweet potatoes or fig newton cookies
Toby and all his hilarity.  He's a goof.


He's a sparkle, a joy, a wonder, and we simply cannot imagine our home and lives without him.  What a gift!
...up next will be Silas...a whole different world and every bit as wonderful...

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...