Wednesday, June 12, 2013

the Heart of Adoption

Alone.

Rejected and Abandoned.
Neglected among the unseen and the unknown.
Utterly helpless, a slave to hopelessness.
Silence.
Not even a cry worth speaking.
A life snuffed out, a future stolen.
A soul buried beneath glassy eyes.
Bearing the weight of sin and imminent death.

and then
Undeservedly, unexpectedly, miraculously...
A touch, a hand.
Gentle, insistent.
Arms encircling, an embrace.
Heart to beating heart, cheek to tear-stained cheek
Lifted and carried.
Out and away, to a life, to a future, to a home.
Helped and cared for.
Loved and included in a new destiny, a family.
Potential unleashed, hope awakened, voice spoken out and answered.
Fully seen and known.
Chosen, Rescued.

Adopted.

I begged God at the beginning of the year to open my eyes to what I have not wanted to see.  Who are the least, the most neglected, the poorest and neediest of the world?  I am starting to see, but instead of just seeing, my heart is breaking.  The weight of the hurting pulling me apart.  I have been urged to think about adoption.  As I have begun the journey to ask how (not if) God would have me care for the orphaned and widowed in the world, the answer has been surprising.

God has been teaching me about the real adoption, the ultimate adoption.  He has reminded me that I too was an orphan.  I am understanding in a greater way, how great His rescue was, of me.  I was as helpless as the unkempt, naked, orphaned child in a crib.  Nothing to earn anyone's interest or affection.  I was that doomed to a life without comfort and care.  I was that poor and that helpless.  

But God...rescued, redeemed, and ransomed my life.  I didn't earn His love, I never could.  He chose to love me because He wanted to.

I didn't expect to be blessed by the first step of my journey as I think and pray about adoption and the care of orphans, but I have gained a greater understanding of who I am as a child of God- not a foster child, a daughter.  Not chosen because I was prettier or friendlier or better than the child in the crib beside me, I was just rescued.  Just chosen.  Just loved.  Given a new name, a new life, a new inheritance, a new identity.

Blessed be the name of the LORD, my Father.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...