Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Bad mother alert

I've had a few 'incidents' recently that deserve to be mentioned. First one:

Jason and I finally took baby Silas for his first hike! (It's about time, considering his name means 'man of the forest' afterall!). So, as most parents know, it took a bit of finesse, timing, luck, and coordination to get him out the door and make sure he would sleep in the car on the way to the hike (since awake silas + carseat = no fun for parents). We got there (phew) and he had slept the whole way. I whipped out lunch in due time and gave him a little feed in the back of our very functional mini-va* er, I mean cuv (car utility vehicle). We bundled him all up in two sleepers and our great go-go baby wrap slapped onto Jason's chest. (Btw, great investment because J can truly experience what I felt like for 9 months carrying a person on the front of my torso). And presto, as we started walking along our favourite buntzen lake trail whamo- he was asleep! (Point 1 for mommy and daddy).

So we thoroughly enjoyed our almost 3 hour walk around this lake. It felt like a date- with baby sleeping soundly with his little 'bee' hat on and us chatting away. Minding our own business (while pleasantly greeting passersby) we kept debating 'hat on' or 'hat off.' Sometimes it would seem really warm and since Silas was bundled all close up to Daddy it was 17 degrees, he seemed plenty warm enough....so at a few points we took off the hat so his head could get a bit of a breeze since his cheeks look kinda flushed.

Well. We passed a lady on the path who gave us this very disapproving look and said "babies should ALWAYS wear a hat," as she walked past us. Not only did she give us that look, but said that in the most condescending voice EVer. THEN as we kept walking, feeling as though we'd been slapped in the face, she said ANOTHER comment something to the effect of "shame on you."

I have never felt so judged and speechless at the same time. Who? What the? What just happened here? Bad mommy, bad (but even though apparently my child's entire health and well-being was apparently at stake at that moment, I wanted to almost not put the hat back on just to spite her).

Incident #2.
We were back at the car, still reeling and we had put Silas in the trunk, lying on his back so he could kick for awhile and enjoy his little self before we put him back again into the dreaded car seat. A lady walked clear across the parking lot and came over and started cooing and ooing at Silas and touching him. WOAH lady. Am I a bad mom that it kind of freaks me out a bit when perfect strangers touch my son all over? I mean, where have their hands been? Did they use the public pit toilets and there was no soap and so they just used water... ?? Is it bad I want to offer people a mask and hand sanitizer before they enter Silas' zone? I never really had strangers 'rub my belly' although, when people did, it didn't really bother me. But THIS does. Shouldn't people ask? Am I a bad mommy for not wanting people to goo and gaah and touch my perfectly clean and non-contaminated little boy?

Ugh. Parenting. Since when does it open invitation for any and all opinions and since when does that give people liberality to touch and coddle my son? I guess I should lighten up a bit. Maybe I'm a bit cranky from lack of sleep (actually, I KNOW I'm cranky from lack of sleep).

before Incident #2
Before Incident #1


11 comments:

  1. Shannon, I agree on both counts. Any busybody who thinks she is qualified to offer insight on the current position of your baby's hat should strap a big woolly toque on her own head, if she's currently feeling a draft. (Babies usually suffer as fashion proxies, under constant threat of being dressed up or down, based on the current chill or sweat of the nearest squeaky wheel.)

    You have been granted the responsibility to care for this little blessing - and to protect him from random, subjective and usually contradictory advice from disinterested and unqualified observers. The disapproving lady on the trail is gone from Silas' life as quickly as she came, but you were his protector through all his yesterdays and will remain thus for many tomorrows. Take heart and be not judged!

    Furthermore, strangers who can't keep their hands off of new babies should buy themselves a cat (including properly-positioned toque) to carry with them on their own afternoon hikes. (By the way, watch out for the dreadful baby kissers. I suggest keeping a Taser nearby to ward off those potentially infectious pests...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shannon...I totally feel ya! I struggled with the "touchers" in Mahadaga right after Joel was born (actually, I struggled with it for Caleb, too, even though he was already 18 months because I felt so bad for the poor kid who was sick of constantly being touched!). But you know that's cultural, so I had to bite my tongue some and try to find a "nice" way of shielding my poor little baby.

    And as for the judging, I remember on the plane across the Atlantic as we were coming back to the US a woman boarded the plane and sat down behind us, commented to her friend sitting next to her, "Oh, look...I guess we'll be breaking out the valium soon" in a very loud, obnoxious voice. I was SO steamed! I was praying my boys would be extra quiet just to prove her wrong! Unfortunately, Joel didn't cooperate with that and I was soon ready to beg her for some valium after all, but that's not the point. The point is that you often feel really alone when people tell you everything you're doing wrong. Parenting is hard work! And even if we do have children, every child is different. And every parent is different, too. Makes me wonder how many times I may have judged someone at the grocery store or out and about for the way they were handling their kids, thinking I knew what I was talking about! Lord, forgive me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. inmeta4s.blogspot.com/2010/04/blogging.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. MaxiMove LTD are a family run removal company offering home removals and same-day collection and delivery services at a competitive price. It's our goal to listen to our customers and put their requirements first and to provide you with an efficient, reliable and personalised service ensuring your moving day runs smoothly.
    large item collection and delivery

    large item collection and delivery

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really appreciate your blog post about Tuesday, April 13, 2010. I so appreciate that you mentioned what you did to help in the comments. I've been debating how to deal with a mother who commented on your blog and I think you gave me a great idea. Thank you! Digital Marketing Agency

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...