Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Recipe Stories

I have recently started enjoying getting recipes online.  I also refer to some good, basic cookbooks.  However, I love love love stealing recipes from others.  By this I mean, eating something someone makes, asking 'can I have your recipe?' and copying the delightful gem down.  
Why?  
Because then my recipe book is a history of stories, of friendships, of places I've been and people I've met.  When I open my recipe book to pick something to make, it makes me smile and think of people and moments, together.  
I like that.
Take, for example, this crowd pleasing orange-chocolate-chip muffin recipe.  I added this one to my cookbook around 7 years ago.  The recipe owner?  She was a lovely, enthusiastic and passionate Quebecois gal.  I think she was going to be a doctor?  I dunno.  I don't even remember her name.  But I do remember her face, and her muffins of course.  I met her while living in Montreal and doing missions with Campus Crusade for Christ (now Power to Change).  I ate them.  I loved them.  Now I make them all the time.
Who ever thought to blend up WHOLE oranges to make delicious muffins?
Yum.
Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins
Put in blender:
1 whole orange (not mandarin, with skin on it and sticker removed)
½ cup margarine or soft butter
½ cup orange juice
½ cups sugar
Blend until Smooth
In separate bowl mix:
1 ½ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ cup of chocolate chips (I always add more)
Mix wet ingredients with dry
Blend well
Divide evenly in muffin tins and bake at 400 F for 15 minutes
Makes exactly 12 muffins
Or take this lovely, delicious, spoon licking Butternut Squash Soup recipe.  Easy, delicious.  It was made for me by my darling (can older people be darling?) landlord.  She was our first landlord just after we got married.  She made us feel welcome and even left flowers in our suite to greet us after we arrived back from our honeymoon.  (Is that sweet or what?)  She had a lovely garden, and had us over for dinners.  This was one meal she made.  I always thought I could never make soup.  But, turns out, I can (with the right recipe).
Make it.  Please.  It's soooo good.
Butternut Squash soup:
Ingredients:
1 large or 2 medium butternut squash- peeled and chopped into cubes
1 onion, chopped
1 Gala apple, peeled cored and chopped
¼ cup of butter
900 ml of chicken broth
1 cup of whipping cream or sour cream
Dash of cinnamon, salt to taste
3 tbsp of maple syrup

 
Do all prep work (aka chopping)
Melt butter in a large pot - add apple and onion until softened
Add broth, cream, squash, dash of sage or other herb you want, cinnamon and salt
Bring to boil, cover, and then simmer for 20-25 minutes on low heat (until squash is soft)
Puree in blender (in small amounts) and blend until smooth 
Tip: wait until cooler so that the top doesn't blow off the blender
Add maple syrup
Enjoy!!! Oh so yummy, creamy, smooth, thick.
You can serve it with sour cream over top if you wish.

My whole recipe book is like this.  My homemade tortillas are from a honduran-born American missionary I met in Burkina Faso [you sound so exotic Flo!].  My favorite pasta recipe was scribbled on a 'Jus Booster' napkin - from my employer: a women who in mid-life became an entrepreneur.  My best curry recipe came from British expats in the desert country bordering Mali.  

I love people.  I love being in the kitchen.  And I love stories.  So, I like my recipe book being a meeting place of all these things I love.
What are some of your recipe stories?

1 comment:

  1. Shannon! This is such a great idea. I LOVE it! I've been thinking about recopying a lot of my hand-written recipes that are on random pieces of paper before they are no longer readable. Maybe I'll also include a quick story about the person/place of origin. Wouldn't it be a fun to pass something like this on to a daughter or daughter-in-law some day? I feel special to be in your personal recipe book! Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...