Thursday, April 24, 2014

Game Time

Next week is the week I have been most dreading since Fiona was born: the day that I am completely alone with all three children.  For the past 5 weeks I have been asking myself "how in the world am I going to do this?"  I have had the luxury and joy of having a husband who could take off 4 weeks of work and then wonderful in-laws who have been with us for the past two weeks.  

But, next week everything changes.

Time to pull up my boot straps, put my game face on, buck up, and so on.

Instead of panicking, which is what I have done so far, I've decided to make a list. Because, you know, for type-A personality kinds like me, lists solve everything.

So here's what I'm going to do.  I have a 'to-don't' list for myself, or a kind of set of rules-of-engagement to keep myself in check.  I don't want to just moan and groan about how hard this is going to be, cause then it probably will be hard.  I want to believe that this is actually going to be a new challenge for myself.  A new training ground.  And that, by golly, it's going to be a blast.  It's time I gave up on perfection, threw out the rule book, and simply just trusted that God will carry me through this time of readjustment.  But saying that and doing it is another story.  SO, knowing myself, I'm going to keep this list in front of me:


  • Give yourself grace. 
  • Don't make to-do-lists.  One goal a day is enough ex: make dinner, OR go to the park, OR get dressed for the day. (This is ironic, since this whole list is kind of a to-do list).
  • Someone will probably be crying, most of the time.  Expect it. And it's okay if it's me.
  • Look for reasons to be thankful, look for evidence of God's goodness.
  • No cleaning allowed- you will just get stressed out (at least, for a few weeks).
  • You can do this.
  • Go to bed early.
  • The TV is your friend for a little while.  My children will not suffer from a few weeks of more than usual screen time until you figure out how to nurse a baby, clean up a toddler's accident and make dinner at the same time.
  • Yesterday does not define today, this morning does not define this afternoon.  One bad day will not mean all days will be bad.  
  • Take one moment at a time and enjoy each of your children just as they are in this stage.
  • These years, these months, these weeks, these moments might be the best ones of your life.  Don't waste them wishing for the future which may or may not be less difficult!
  • Ask for help, accept help. 
  • This is a season.
  • I repeat, YOU CAN DO THIS.
  • Pray.  Without ceasing.
  • It will get better.  You will figure out how to care for three children.
  • The house WILL be messy, get over it.
  • There will ALWAYS be laundry to do, get over it!
  • Turn off the computer.
  • Turn off the phone.
  • Be present and don't miss your life!
  • Forgive yourself and ask for forgiveness.
  • Don't be grumpy, it doesn't help anybody.
  • Projects can wait.
  • You will sleep again.  One day.
  • One thing at a time.
  • Open a window, step outside, breathe fresh air.
  • Celebrate successes (shower! no one crying!)
  • You are not alone!
  • Don't panic.  If they all need you at once they will either learn how to wait, resolve their own conflicts, or become more independent and figure out how to do it themselves which are ALL GOOD outcomes
  • Don't expect any moments to yourself, at least for a little while.  And if they happen- REST or do something that refreshes you.  Don't. Check. Facebook.
  • Get out with friends, go on dates, and get some exercise.  Whenever you can.


"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...