Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Pants Season

Toby hates pants.  I'm not sure when this happened, but he cannot stand to wear anything other than what he calls "soft shorts."  Sport shorts.  I've tried, OH I've tried to convince him that sweat pants are, indeed, 'longer' soft shorts but he doesn't believe me.  Every day we fight about this. As soon as pants are on he turns into a wet noodle, a puddle of whining on the floor.
his favourite pair 

Good times.  Don't you love how overwhelming these problems seem to a 2 year old? I mean, aArmageddon The world is ending!  The sky is falling!  I HAVE TO WEAR PANTS. 

Thing is, it's getting like, ridiculously cold outside.  (Bear with me, all you people living in the rest of Canada.  9 degrees celsius is 'freakin' cold in our neck of the woods).  But, bad news, dear 2 year old! It's winter!  It's not summer any longer! You cannot wear shorts or crocs anymore, you need to dress warmer!  You, versus the weather?  You will LOSE dear boy.

GIVE IN TO THIS SEASON! 

The only thing that seems to convince him lately is to wear shorts UNDER his pants or leave his shorts by the front door so that as soon as he comes back inside, he can switch back to his comfort wear.

This example has been an 'aha' for me lately in reminding me of myself.  Isn't it great when you are trying to teach 2 year olds life lessons, and YOU are the one who needs the reprimand?

I've been helping facilitate a book study at our Church all about motherhood and it's been awesome and challenging and encouraging and, yeah, you get the point.  And a few things she said hit me:

“My ultimate encouragement to you so that you don’t feel defeated [in your role as a mother?]  Give in to your season of life.  You will feel desperate sometimes, I know, and it’s scary some days.  But the more you allow yourself to be fully and completely invested in the discipling of your children, the less defeated you will feel.”

“you will struggle immensely if you do not have a resolve regarding your role as a mother.”
-From Desperate by Sarah Mae and Sally Clarkson

I would love to travel more.  I would love to get more exercise and push my body to it's physical limits.  I would love to sit down and read a whole book, cover to cover.  I'd love to get more education, specializing in a different area of nursing.  I'd love to take trips with my husband, I'd love to.... (insert list of like 1000 other things).

But, Shannon, GIVE IN TO YOUR SEASON OF LIFE ALREADY!

This is not the season for all those things.  Right now, my season of life means that my days go by slowly.  It means my house is often a mess.  This season means for making snacks and meals constantly, running up and down stairs to insert a soother in a baby's mouth, and dusty book shelves.  

Yet, this season is filled with cuddles and imagination, beautiful soft baby cheeks and laughter-rich chaos.  It's a season of sharing war stories with other moms with kids the same age.  A season of interrupted sleep and pancake breakfasts, and long afternoon walks.  It's a season of tickling chubby thighs and belly laughs.  

Embrace it, Shannon!  Stop fighting it!  You are in this season, for but a brief time.  Leave your shorts at the door, and go outside!  Frolick in the cool air and crunch the hard leaves under your feet, with PANTS on, and save the shorts for summer.  Stop crying about the reality of your current situation and enjoy it!  Be in it! 

Whatever season you are in, enjoy the best of it before it's gone like sand between your fingers.  Fight for joy.  Right here.  Right now.  By the attitude of your heart.  [P.s I'm talking to me, don't worry.  I'm sure you've got this figured out already]



1 comment:

  1. We are too alike! I feel like I'm constantly wanting to be doing other things, more adventures, more challenges ... It's SO necessary to be in content and engaged in every season. Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...