Thursday, January 5, 2012

Why New Years Resolution #7 Sucks

Okay.  So I want to learn about fashion and how to dress better for my body shape.  Sounds achievable right?  Yeah, it did to me too.  That's why it became New Years Resolution #7. 

Problem 1: Do I buy stuff for how flabby I am now or be hopeful about how 'fit' I will be in the months to come? I only have maternity clothes that are too baggy and pre-maternity clothes that are too tight so I need clothes now but...

Problem 2: I have two small children.  Shopping is a no-go.  Here's why:

Best case scenario: I am alone and shopping.
Sounds great right?  Excellent actually.  Except, that means that some unfortunate person [probably Jason] has both kids and meanwhile....I am rushing, running, speeding to try and shop shop shop to find what I want and end up buying things that I have not tried on or haven't had the chance to think about.  Therefore I end up with stupid clothes purchases.  The whole time I'm shopping, rather than figuring out how to pick good quality fashion choices, I am worrying about child #2 who needs to breastfeed 'anytime now' and as soon as I think about it, I start lactating.  This makes trying clothes on even less plausible. So then I have to go out again to return those said items which I could not try on and look hideous in the light of my bedroom.  Then I go to return them and I can't find the receipt [as it's been deemed garbage by my toddler] or [just in my absent-minded-new-mommy-ness I have chucked it away somewhere].  Excellent.  Extra clothes that don't fit.  Perfect.  Just what I don't need  in my closet.

Worser {is that a word?} case scenario: I am shopping with one.
Sounds also plausible right?  Shopping with a baby, coffee in hand, strolling along at the mall- this is the middle class suburban dream right?  Well, it's not reality.  Baby Toby hates the stroller, doesn't take a soother, ends up crying unless I keep a constant pace of 15 km/hour or more.  This makes it impossible to try things on without also simultaneously bashing the buggy against the fitting room door by accident.  OR if I put him in my new and wonderful carrier, this also makes it slightly impossible to try clothes on.

Worst case scenario: Shopping for clothes with two.
I don't.  It would be dumb.
[Toddler Silas would be running in the opposite direction of me, playing 'peek-boo' in the clothes, while I would be hidden away breastfeeding Toby in the change room].

SO.  Where was I?  oh yes.  This is why my new years resolution sucks.

How do you mommys out there do it?  You know who you are.  You moms who are super stylish and look great AND have children that are fully clothed, with clean diapers, and fed?  Let me know your tricks.  

3 comments:

  1. this is so funny and true!

    after 2 straight years of being pregnant (basically), and our first year of marriage being marked by serious penny-pinching, I found myself, post-Oli, with basically NO clothes that fit or reflect my current style.

    I lost a bunch of weight (unintentionally) before my 2008 wedding and happened to buy a lot of clothes during that time period. Stupid. So my 4 year old clothes are way too small, but I still had a lot of clothes that I was still wearing from early university days and even HIGH SCHOOL. But the last 3-4 years havent been clothes shopping years.

    SO, Brad sent me off on Boxing Day (so I could shop on the cheap) while he watched both kids. But he did what I needed to hear (and I feel like you and I are alike in this): he INSISTED that I
    a) take my time
    b) don't rush
    c) don't text to check in, he'll be fine
    d) don't look at the clock
    e) don't buy something because I feel like I have to
    f) don't buy something that I don't love because it's cheap
    g) don't worry if I find nothing - he'll free me up to do something similar again soon

    it was a HUGE relief and I got a TON of clothes (like practically a new wardrobe) for $300 - mostly christmas money.

    I feel like I'm dressing for my age and life stage (guess not all 25 year olds are moms of 2 so I had to clarify that I'm dressing for a combination of both!)and also in a style I like and feel attractive AND comfortable in for the first time in, well, 4 years.

    also - for the tummy flab that I still have too, I opted for shirts that aren't too tight (even if you loose all of your belly size, skin tight shirts arent in style anyway and you could always cinch a too-big shirt with a cute waste belt!). Definitely assuming though that some is here to stay so I chose sizes based on that and also darker colours and longer fits. No shirt that shows the belt part of the pants, if that makes sense :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, excellent advise!!

    Shannon, your baby is still ... well, a baby & there will be a lot more body changes over the next year. Hang in there! I JUST bought a new sweater & 3 new under-tanks & my 'baby's' 13 months. The 1st year after a baby is always body-frustrating. And yet you always 'shine' with your natural beauty - no matter what you are wearing. Remember that & don't stress out too much, Sally is right, it is only Jan. 6th.

    I love you & will see you hopefully in a couple months & we can maybe do some shopping together ... just the 3 of us (I would love to hold Toby ALL day long).

    Hugs your way.

    Ashlee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to you both!!! We are blessed with great husbands hey Emily? I should take my time. I guess I'm always in this 'get this done while you can' mode so feel like I have to get all my clothes shopping done in one trip. I guess that's silly but every spare moment I have to rush to get things done when Silas is occupied or Toby happens to be sleeping (which is rare). Sigh. This. Is. Just. A. Season (right?!)
    -Thanks Ashlee- you're such an encouragement. Are you coming to visit??????? Remember our hotel room visit? That will be etched in my memory forever and has moved from 'that was crazy' to 'that was hysterically funny!'

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...