Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Sharpie 'Back' Story

For those who saw my facebook photo and wondered about the back story...here it is:

We didn't deserve it.  But we witnessed a miracle today!!  We had become increasingly suspicious of Silas being diabetic over the last number of months.  He was experiencing all the symptoms: constantly thirsty, constantly hungry, fatigued, cranky, hadn't gained a pound in over a year, itchy all over, saying he "wasn't feeling well" often or "I'm so tired..."etc..  

I wasn't sure if I was just being a over-concerned mom or if my nursing instincts were starting to kick in. 

So we took Silas to our doctor last week and she did a random glucose check (finger prick).  As I worried and expected- his sugar level was abnormal.  

I was trying not to panic, but the thought of Silas being diabetic was overwhelming.  Not just because of the uncertainty it would bring but in some ways, the certainty (being a nurse and seeing what this would look like for a 2 year old).

We returned the next day bright and early to the lab to get his fasting blood sugar checked.  They wouldn't do it at the lab.  Jason then left for the weekend to Ontario so we decided to wait until afterwards to get it checked.

Having the extra time this weekend to wait upon God put me in the position to need to pray, believe, trust, have faith, and hope for healing.  

This is not an easy work for Jason nor I. 

I constantly battle anxiety, the 'what ifs' and have to lean heavily on scripture for comfort and hope ex: "God is our merciful Father and the source of ALL comfort."  2 Corinthians 1:3.

Healing is something Jason and I have been wrestling with over the last year: we believe that God does miracles today- and is willing and able to answer when we ask for the 'improbable' the 'impossible' or the 'unlikely' (in this case- Silas' full healing), but we also know that He allows difficulty to shape us.  Which situations do we accept and surrender to and which do we believe healing for?  Is the answer both?

This is a hard issue and I won't even begin to discuss it on this blog.  We've seen miracles before- Jason and I, and we've also been waiting for ones in other areas that have yet to come.  This is not an easy topic.  I've suffered through continuous physical ailments, I know.  This post is more an act of obedience to give thanks to whom it's due.

I haven't been sleeping well while trying to fight off anxious thoughts with scripture and trying to be still in the arms of God.  Hence the 'what if' post.

Another opportunity for faith, for trust, for hope.

TODAY we took Silas to the clinic to get his blood glucose checked.  The normal is 4-6 and if he is indeed diabetic, we would expect to see a high number.  Silas was super brave.  The result was 3.8.

I nearly burst into tears of gratitude.

I believe that God has healed him.  Oh, some may argue that maybe he didn't even ever have diabetes- but I know God has healed him and I'm gonna praise HIM for it.  We're gonna choose to press in and press on believing that God has, is, and will continue to heal Silas.

This has been an overwhelming time for us for sure: needing to trust God each day as I go back to work, as we leave our children in others' care, as I step out in faith to teach for the first time, and with Silas' health. 

But Praise God for His nearness, His comfort, His strength [in the waiting] and for His joy, His peace, and His rest [in the answer to prayer].

And...then I got carried away with the sharpie and decided that I want to visibly have a reminder, in ink, on our dining room table, of God's answer to prayer.  I want to continue in this tradition through the years so that His goodness to us is ever before us, under us, whenever we commune together at the table.




1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...