Tuesday, July 2, 2013

All About Silas

I sent out an update about the 'baby' of the family (who, by the way, is no longer the baby since Toby acquired a baby doll which he is fondly toting with him everywhere) and it wouldn't be fair if I didn't talk about his older brother.

You will often hear me spout off about the challenges of having a three-year-old, because it is challenging.  However, I want to talk about the many positive characteristics of my little man-boy.  And there are many.  He is an active, social, dramatic, and bright little boy.  
 

Did I mention that I think he's ridiculously handsome?
(Except when he's doing this)...
 
Or this... (bugging Toby incessantly), which is his full time occupation:  
He loves riding his strider bike and he has swiftly worn through two (and into his third) pair of shoes.  And by worn down, I mean dutch-style.  He can speed around corners, go down hills, glide along with both feet off the ground (balancing) and even goes off jumps. I am truly astounded at his physical ability.  For those of you who haven't heard of these genius rides,  they are so amazing.  They changed the way that we go for walks.  Instead of Silas walking at his slower than slow pace behind the stroller, he's zipping along allowing for us to go at a quick click. In fact, I can run along beside him and barely keep up.  He's even lasted for almost 2 hours on a family bike ride.  Love it.
Silas' dramatic facial expressions and extensive vocabulary makes for very interesting conversations and story-telling.  When he's in his 'I feel bubbly' mood, he can chit-chat forever with funny phrases, great imagination, and endless energy.  It's hilarious!  He has us in stitches quite often.  My favorite game to play with him is right before bed.  We'll lie on his bed looking up at the (blank) ceiling and I'll begin... "I see____" and fill that in with whatever random idea comes to mind "pink flamingos dancing on marshmallow clouds."  He'll play right along, coming up with the most ridiculous scenarios.  I love imagining with him and being creative with him.
Like his momma!
Silas is more than anything, obsessed with cake.  I mean like, it's never ending.  He makes cakes with legos, makes cakes with sand, sings happy birthday for me a million times a day, and cannot get enough of imagining eating wonderfully sweet things.  I think he even gets just as much, if not more joy in imagining eating cake or serving others imaginary cake than actually eating it.  It's hilarious.  He LOVED his first baking class with me and is attached at my hip when I'm baking anything in the kitchen.  What an interesting fella!

 
All of the above is 'cake making.'  All.

He also is an incredible gymnast and hockey player.  I mean, he's three, but he loves being at our local gymnastics place for drop in and I can't believe the heights he can jump off of and the tricks he can do.  As for hockey?  Well, we could spend hours doing this a day.  He has a great slap shot and jumps in with the rest of the much bigger neighborhood boys and thinks he's one of "the guys."

Side story: Speaking of 'guys,' he got in his first fist fight at the playground.  It was the strangest thing.  Another boy was pushing him away from the playground so Silas pushed him back and then this other kid started pounding on Silas.  It was scary to watch (as I ran towards him) and Silas was incredibly upset "I don't want him to hit me!" he cried.  Strange, but true story.  Silas is, well, a bit competitive but I've never seen such aggression.  This other kid definitely started it but we definitely need to work on "turning the other cheek and walk away."  (Or do we teach him to fight back?! Opinions?!)

Speaking of energy, he biked to the track the other day, and then ran TWO laps around it. Crazy.

I think Silas is an incredible mimic and wordsmith.  He has a great vocabulary, knows all his letters, knows all their sounds, and is actually starting to put letters together and sound out words!  I left him with some sidewalk chalk the other day and looked over only to find him drawing H's and U's, P's and I's even though I've never practiced that with him.  I'm amazed, and slightly confounded.  How will I keep his interest?  I haven't a clue how to teach someone how to read...

This little boy is, in many ways, like his Mom.  He has a high social need, loves all the attention he can get, is dramatic and imaginative, and loves to be in the center of any and all activities.  Yup, sounds like me.  Maybe this is where our challenges lie.  Most days I'm overwhelmed by the task of stewarding this kind of social energy and intelligence in a positive and God-honoring way.  I need a lot more patience and grace than I possess and I am humbled often by how little I am capable on my own.  I have definitely struggled with anger and I'm learning more about my character each day as I parent him.  God help me!

One of the best things at this stage is both Silas' innocence and his curiosity.  He asks about everything.  My favourite is when he decides to pray at the table.  Like his latest, "Thank you God for this wonderful meal, thank you God that if Mommy isn't here or Daddy isn't here, or Grandma isn't here, or Angela isn't here (his nanny this past spring), you are always here.  Jesus please bring me a little sister.  Thank you that Toby can't have dairy, amen."  This kid...or... "thank you just, ummm, for our life, and..."  The latest favourite too: he loves the song Ten Thousand Reasons by Matt Redman and doesn't stop singing it.  While walking to the park the other day he said "It's just so beautiful out, so sunny, doesn't it just make you want to bless the Lord Oh your soul Mommy?"  [bliss]

He brings so much joy, so much passion and energy, and so much life into our home. I'm so proud of him for so many things, and hope and long for him to be as Christ to his generation (oh, and play nicer with his younger brother of course).
At his best: baking class!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...