Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Countdown to Baby

Many days that I am home with Silas, I am scratching my head as to what to do with him.  Seems strange but I guess I get bored of taking him to the same parks, playing in the backyard pool, and well, having him follow me around while I try to get SOME things done in the day.  And, I just am out of ideas.  He's such a busy boy and LOVES to be with other kids and so I just don't know what to do to entertain him when I'm on my own.  It just dawned on me the other day that he looks to me as his main playmate.  I'm no longer just his meal provider and diaper changer, but I'm his educator and playmate and he desperately wants my undivided attention.
I've decided to therefore, have a bit more of a routine.  AND, actually take specific time out of my day to not try and get other things done, not do chores around Silas, or feel guilty about not doing them, but just PLAY with him.  Baby 2 is coming soon and really, there will not be much time after baby's arrival for me to just focus one-on-one time with Silas.  Maybe it seems silly, but I just need to make a schedule and write it down that I'm going to take a few hours in the morning to do some chores, but then there will be hours in the afternoon of just simply playing with and focusing on Silas.  Somehow writing it down makes me more likely to do it I think.


Even though in some ways I'm bored at home, the clock is ticking and there's a real sense of baby's imminent arrival.  In light of what I said above, here's a list of my 'to-do-countdown' before baby comes:


4 months until baby arrives
2 weeks of out of town visitors
3 bathrooms to renovate
5 rooms to paint
4 kitchen walls to put up backsplash on (who wants to help?)
1 double stroller to buy
1 toddler bed to set up and get Silas to get used to
1 quilt to finish (oh man, this is taking me forever)
23 shifts left to work
2 weekends away (one without Silas for the first time, one women's retreat)
1 kidswap fall event to plan for my church
8 swimming classes to go to with Silas
1 freezer to stock full of meals and homemade applesauce 
2 zucchini plants to harvest and do something with
1 breastfeeding pillow to recover (any tips on how to do that anyone?)
2 camping trips to take


phew.  the list goes on.  oh yeah, and somehow I need to take care of Silas in there, possibly potty train him (since he seems interested these days), prep for the arduous task that labor is, keep house, pick a name for baby, keep up my relationship with God, and friends, start a bible study, all while huge and pregnant.  And I wonder why I'm so out of shape these days...when do I have time to exercise?


somehow I'll get this to-do-list done.  by God's strength anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...