Sunday, June 24, 2012

Joy?

Where to begin a post like this?  How to put words to thoughts churning, emotions swirling, the noise of my internal self conversation?  

The naked question I wrestle with, what consumes my heart and leaves my body restless is: "how do I seize joy?"  Not happiness, not ethereal emotion but a deep down, unquenchable, soul affirming, outreach propelling kind of joy. 

I want that kind of joy desperately.  I want fullness of life, abundance, contentment, satiation. I want joy that fills my empty spaces to the point of overflowing.  Peace in the storms of life and in the mundane deserts. 

The days are so repetitive.  
Another morning, another diaper, another walk, I've seen the same 5 km radius around my home a thousand times.  Where, oh WHERE do I find joy here in this place and season of my life?

I was reviewing some old journals and was astonished to see that years ago in a different place, in a different time, before children, I had the same longing for joy.  Three years ago:"But without Your presence in my life, without Your joy and satisfaction, I remain void, empty, and worthless.  Bring me to life God for who else can be to me true joy?  I cannot pretend it, I cannot muster it up (anymore than I can bring day from night, revive myself or breathe life into my own womb)."

Oh. Right.  This nagging question has followed me most of my life.  Joy, where art thou?

I'm saddened that I haven't 'got this' yet but encouraged that God wants me to learn this so much that He keeps patiently teaching me.  God has brought me through some low valleys over the past few years.  In valleys it's natural to seek joy; hard.  But then, when things are 'okay' and 'ho hum' I still find myself here, again.  The question of my life keeps resounding, "Will I, or will I not find my ultimate joy in Christ alone. Here. Now.  Another day.  This day.  Everyday."

So how do I have joy?  Well, I've been presented with a few answers:

1. Wait.  "It's a journey."  I need to wait on God.  I can't breathe life into my own lifelessness, I can't bring warmth to a cold heart.  Okay.  Maybe joy is all God's doing.  I've learned a bit about waiting as He knit together a life in me and as He teaches me through gardening.  Got it.  I'm waiting. 
2. Thankfulness. I read "A thousand gifts" and have been moved over and over again by some of the things she writes.  Her ultimate answer is that thankfulness is the road to joy.  Okay, I'll work on that.
3. Prayer.  We are studying prayer in small group, and I've been learning about discipline as I stitch together a quilt- stitch by stitch, faithfully, quietly (more on this later).  Some things just take practice, faithfulness, commitment, discipline, and work.  Yup.  The fact that I don't have joy must mean I should try harder.  Pray more, be more thankful.  
4. Sabbath. We started actually practicing Sabbath.  Rest, in Christ, and He can and will bring joy.  Okay, so it's up to Christ. I'll rest.

Ack.  Me, Him, faith, works, joy (???)  As helpful as thankfulness, discipline, prayer, and Sabbath are to my pathway to joy I don't want to understand the cake or its ingredients, I just want to eat it.  Let me eat the freakin' cake already.  Give me the fork, just give it to me and I will eat and enjoy. 

So that's it.  A mess of thoughts and words to try and describe the jumbled knot of questions inside of me.  I want to have joy now.  Here. In my everyday life.  In this season of small children and crumb encrusted floors.  In the restless days and laundry. 

Help God.  Help.



1 comment:

  1. Shannon, I wish we could hang out more. But take a deep breath, and stop looking so dang hard for the joy that comes from deep relationship with God. Don't seek God because you want Joy, just seek God. He loves you and just wants you to get to know Him.

    Don't pray to force yourself to be thankful. If you are thankful, awesome. If you're not at the moment, tell God. One of the most satisfying and deep prayer sessions I had was where I finally got so mad at God because I felt extremely and deeply betrayed by Him. I was angry. But you know what? He could take it. And my honesty with him, not forcing myself to just suck it up and be a good christian, did more for me than forcing myself to look at the bright side ever did.

    God wants your honesty and your heart. If your heart doesn't feel thankful at the moment, tell him. Release it to him. He is a big being, he can handle your frustrations. He WANTS them because he loves you, and wants your love and worship. He wants the real real real real real you, and doesn't care what society, even christian society tells us about how we should be feeling.

    Joy joy joy. A tricksy thing. Is it a feeling? Or is it the knowledge that whatever happens in this life, our eternity is secure? Is it like an endorphin rush after a run? A fleeting emotion? What is it you are seeking?

    Imma go now. Love you dearly Shannon and I'm coming over soon to tell you all about ontario and see your boys and talk about running!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...