Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Developing a Food Ideology

Dairy-free.  Low sugar.  Vegetarian.  Affordable.  Ethical.  Local.  Family-friendly.


What is a mom to feed her family these days?  

Rewind a year ago, and I don't think I could have imagined thinking too hard or long on any of the above topics surrounding food.  Sure, we ate what I would have considered healthy, but I had no reason to change any food habits we had.

Enter: Toby.  With his apparent dairy allergies I had to go 100% dairy free if we wanted him to last 10 minutes without coughing and choking on mucous.  It wasn't such a hard switch in some ways because it was necessary.  I didn't really have a choice.  If I wanted to nurse him, I had to give up my cream cheeses and buttery muffins, and everything yummy (or so it seemed). I had a pinterest board dedicated to all the things I wished I could eat but I wasn't too phased.

Then I weaned Toby.  Now I could have dairy.  Yessss!  But then, I started to wonder...

I've been without it for a year, I've established new eating habits, Toby's still having problems with dairy and I refuse to make multiple meals for our family, so if I'm ever going to continue with not eating it - it's now.  Christmas day brought dairy back into my gut but then a gory battle of intestines vs. host ensued.  Hmmm.  

With an added benefit, the scales had been rather forgiving with my removal of dairy and I haven't been too surprised to see the numbers start to climb with the addition of pizzas and baked goods.

So the dilemma.  One of my goals this year (although I haven't quite been able to articulate it) is to allow myself to have my eyes opened.  I've closed my eyes for a long time about the health and ethical reasons to go dairy or animal-product free, but I think it's time for some education.


That's where change begins right?  I'm reading some books, watching some documentaries, and accepting opinions and ideas.  Where does everyone stand on their 'food ideologies?'  I realize that it's rather personal and everyone's bodies might be different, but has there been any great reads or great inputs that have really cemented in your mind your food choices?

Low glycemic index?  Local?  Organic? Raw?  Paleo? Thoughts?

p.s. So far I think we're leaning towards going mostly vegetarian, with little dairy, and as is my habit, make as much stuff from scratch as I have the time or interest to be able to do.

Recent food endeavors:
My new favourite salad: grapefruit, avocado and orange.  YUM.

Homemade blueberry fruit snacks.  I loved them, Toby loved them, Silas cried because he didn't want to finish his piece and hated it that much....you win some, you lose some.

Cheese-free quiche (with soy and eggs)

Jason's birthday cheesecake (which I couldn't eat any of).   We saved 1/2 in the freezer for the day I could eat dairy and pulled it out the other night... it tasted like freezer.  So. Sad.  and SO gross.  Ugh.  

2 comments:

  1. Or dietary lives have been a round-robin of changes for various reasons so I understand the merry-go-round :) If you decide to continue with the dairy-free please do some research into soy and why you should not be consuming it - especially your boys. To get you started 90% of soy is GMO'd and it will mess up hormones especially for the males in the family. Try almond milk instead. (google: soy GMO boys - and you will have plenty to read)

    Change can be difficult but it has rewards too. Bless you Shannon as you guide your family to even more healthy eating :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I get so many confusing tips about soy. My pediatrician, a dietician, and some books I've been reading say that soy is the best thing for Toby at his age in order for him to get the fat and protein (and nutrients) he needs instead of cows milk. But then there's all this confusing stuff about soy these days and the long term effects. Ugh. Know if it's organic, does that make a difference? Organic, fortified soy milk versus non-organic? Thanks for your input!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...