Sunday, January 27, 2013

Legoooooooooo Party

Before you think it, I know: this party was a bit over the top.  I've become that Mom who goes nuts for her kids' birthday.  Hmmm.  What my wise friend Michelle told me, "once you have a theme for your party, it's downhill from there." It's totally true. I've been dreaming, and thinking, pinning and planning in lego colours for weeks now.

I didn't want to go over the top, but I also have never been a half-way kind of person.  It was just too much fun making all kinds of fun details for the party.  I especially loved involving Silas in every part of the prep.  He loves baking and crafting and all of the prep made his anticipation grow and grow.  It's been a fun couple of weeks.

Why Lego?  Silas LOVES Lego.  He has quite the imagination and since it's his mainstay quiet-time toy it seemed obvious to make his 3rd birthday a Lego-theme.  Every day he makes zoos and bridges and all kinds of interesting creations.  I love this stuff!

First and foremost, before I share the details of his third birthday: a big shout out to all of our great family and friends.  We are richly blessed.  I know that Silas felt special and loved because of your presence there at his birthday and in his life.
Details, details
Goody bags:

  • hand-me-down squishy legos with each kids' name written on them
  • lego candy (a must have)
  • lego erasers
  • chocolate legos!  Silas and I molded these the other day and we had quite the fun time running back and forth between the stove and freezer.


Decorations:
I had a bit too much fun with the decor.  I borrowed some friends' extra duplo and cut, pasted, taped, and tucked.

  • Silas helped me paint signs for the front of our community room which we rented (in our townhouse complex)




Table centerpieces
 
Silas helped me make his Lego name.  He insisted on having 'eyes' in his 'I'
Streamer wall in the background =)

Table decor!  Vase + lego.  
I also made confetti with cardstock paper and a hole punch.

Kleenex boxes + baby food jar lids + wrapping paper

Cutlery holder?  Silas made this for me

For our game we needed lego cars so they were on the mantle until we used them.
Silas called our present his 'cake present'
 Activities:

Free play!  I cleaned up our summertime sand/water table and hauled our kid-friendly tables from home and had a homemade playdoh station (with legos to play with it of course), a lego station, and our tent filled with balls and balloons.  The kids loved it all!  It was fun making lego shapes with play-doh and building towers.


Silas loved helping me make the play-doh

We also did some games:
Pin the 'dot' on the lego: [each child had their name on a matching lego dot, they were blindfolded and spun and then had to put the dot on the lego piece]
Lego car-race:
Each child had a lego car and were told to build it, and then we sent them down the ramp to see who could make it the furthest.  Even the adults wanted a round at it:
Lego Colouring:
I made some 'lego pieces' on the computer for every child to colour.  Then we stuck them on the wall to collaboratively build.  It ended up being a tower.  [Shocked?]
Story-time!
I got some lego story-books from the library and got Silas' favourite book out: The Pout Pout Fish.
I also had some 'adult' coffee table lego books from the library.  They were fun to look at:
Food:
Tried to keep it cheap and simple.  Chips and Salsa, pizza, fruits, veggies, etc.
My favourite though?  The lego chocolates and lego juice boxes.  Too fun.



And the cake.  Not professional looking, but it looked like Lego!  I used 1/2 marshmallows which I froze to help me decorate them.  [They were a pain]  And of course, we forgot to take a  close up picture of it.  Oh well. 
And some pictures of the action.  More than 30 people including 15 kids and a ton of fun.  I especially loved how they really got into the car making and the present opening cluster of kids.  Hilarious.  

Keeping it cheap?
Had the party in our community room in our townhouse complex
Made a lot of the decor
Borrowed a lot of things
Used what we had!  [Balloons, balls, tent, air mattress, lego, vases, paper, hole punch, etc]
Made the food
One of Silas' christmas presents became his birthday present, we bought him something from craigslist for 7 bucks and only bought him one new toy which was 15 bucks =)
Only expensive party was the goody bags but who doesn't love goody bags?!

Now Silas and daddy are figuring out his new remote-controlled car.  Love.
Until next time... [phew, off the hook for birthday planning until next November!]






3 comments:

  1. Whoa, I cannot believe how awesome this party looks! You are so ambitious, Shannon, and obviously such a great planner. Blessings to you, dear Silas, as you learn & grow this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an *amazing* looking party!

    And thanks for including The Pout-Pout Fish!

    Best Fishes to you and your family,
    Debbie Diesen (author of The Pout-Pout Fish)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly? The best kids book. We are constantly requesting it from the library! I feel honored you visited our blog! Not sure if you'll pop back here again, but thanks for reading! p.s. I actually think I love the book as much or more than my 3 year old.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...